Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pantry overhaul...

So, I'm not the most organized person in the world. I try...really, I try really hard. But, I guess I'm lazy at the heart of it, or don't have the time...yes, that's it. My excuse...I can't put things away properly...because I don't have time! YES!
One area of my house really lacking in organization is this pantry: Pretty HORRID, right? This space is pretty gross...and illogical. You can't tell from the above picture, but the first "shelf" (I think they're more like platforms, IMO) is about 3 feet off the ground and then each platform/shelf is roughly 20 inches above the next, and between 12-20" in depth. Now, keep in mind...I'm 5'3" tall and the back of the furthest shelf is 3 1/2 feet from the front. My arms don't reach that far! It's rather difficult to see everything in this space...let alone reach everything.

I am told these platforms are built this way because the basement staircase is directly below this and the wall behind said platforms actually comes up at a pretty steep angle. Add to that there is an attic access at the top and voila, you have weird platforms. Granted, this is pretty standard for the style and year of our house...but I've just never seen it before.

Although, we have a pretty large kitchen...it really has very minimal cabinet and counter space...making THIS space a "must-use" space for storage. In here must go: small appliances (food processor, Kitchen Aid mixer, blender, etc.) Bulk food storage (flour: 3 kinds, honey, sugar, corn meal, baking supplies, whole grains, etc.) The hubs' never ending supply of hot sauce...I counted: 42 bottles...no joke. Various cooking accoutrement...mostly grilling items, oils and vinegar. Vitamins. Tupperware. Paper products (plates, cups, plastic silverware, etc.) Party trays/Beverage dispensers. Extra food bags, Saran wrap and Aluminum Foil.

At one time, this was an organized space...before I lived here and really started cooking. Now it looks like above. Or this scary picture...you wanted a close up, right?

AHHH...scary. Anyway, being on vacation this week and deciding that I just couldn't live like this ANYmore...I cleaned it out as best I could...without buying any new contraptions or shelving systems. Now, it looks like this.
Much better, right? Very organized: everything is in it's place. How long do you think it will stay this way? 1 week...2 weeks...a month? I personally think 2 weeks...give or take a few days. It depends on if I bake anything, I think.
Anyone have any ideas on how to make it better? I am not able to tear out the platforms...hubby's rule and I would rather keep the expense to re-do it low. Like under $100. Any tips, tricks, or products you think might be especially helpful...I'd appreciate your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment